I know you’re going to just love these BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Spicy Avocado Spread! They’re perfect for a quick and tasty weeknight meal. Tip: Use leftover rotisserie chicken to make it even easier.
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Spicy Avocado Spread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup low-sugar BBQ sauce
- 4 whole wheat buns
For the Spicy Jalapeño Avocado Spread:
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced (keep the seeds for more heat)
- juice of ½ a lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- thin-sliced provolone cheese
- Place the chicken in a pot large enough to hold it all, and fill the pot with enough water (or chicken stock) to cover the chicken by about 1-2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reads 165 ℉.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken and reserve on a plate. When it is cool enough to touch, shred it and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken and BBQ sauce together, tossing with tongs to evenly coat.
- To prepare the Spicy Jalapeño Avocado Spread: combine all of the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To assemble the sandwiches: place about a heaping ½ cup on each bottom bun and evenly spread the Jalapeño Avocado Spread on each top bun, then sandwich together.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutritional calculations
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 536mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 65mg