Do you have picky eaters that typically skip their green veggies at dinner? Well, me too. My little Easton can be picky when it comes to vegetables. To solve this problem, I came up with this easy recipe and it’s the perfect way to introduce broccoli to your kiddos. These broccoli tots resemble a favorite at my house—tater tots—and you can feel good about serving this recipe often as it’s a healthier take on the fried potato snack. These broccoli tots are baked instead of fried and packed with fiber. They make a great side dish for chicken strips or fish sticks. Below are a few of my easy tips:
- Instead of dirtying a separate bowl to beat the egg, beat the egg in the large mixing bowl first, then add the rest of the ingredients to it.
- If you’d rather use frozen broccoli to save time cutting it up, that’s an easy swap! Just cook it according to package directions and continue with my recipe. I used fresh broccoli because it’s typically cheaper—and picking out your own produce is never a bad thing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced (about 4)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, or lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a medium sauce pan of water to a boil and carefully drop the florets in the water. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, until fork tender. Drain and run cold water over the florets to quickly cool them down.
- Spread the florets out on a plate lined with several paper towels to dry.
- When the broccoli is mostly dried, coarsely chop it up small.
- In a large mixing add the chopped broccoli, beaten egg, cheese, panko, green onions, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Stir the ingredients together and then shape tater tot-shaped mounds using about 1½ tablespoons of the broccoli mixture.
- Bake on the prepared baking sheet for 16-18 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking time to ensure even browning.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, or plain.
- Serving Size: 5 broccoli tots
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 442mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 47mg