This fun, layered casserole incorporates fresh tomatoes and cilantro rather than canned products. If your family wants to put their own twist on it, and bulk it up more, you can add to the protein levels by adding pinto beans in addition to the black beans.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups Pacific® Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 10-oz can red enchilada sauce
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 15.25-oz can reduced-sodium whole corn kernels, drained
- 15-oz can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10-oz can Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 2 tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 6 La Tortilla Factory® Low Carb, High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas, Original Size
- 1 cup Sargento® Reduced Fat Mild Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium stock pot, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Add the chicken and bay leaves, and simmer covered for 15 minutes, flipping over at the halfway mark. The internal temperature should read 165º F.
- Remove from the broth and reserve on a plate until cool enough to touch, then shred and set aside. Discard the bay leaves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Stir in the corn, beans, Ro*Tel®, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. Stir in the reserved shredded chicken, and turn off the heat.
- Spread a thin layer (about ¼ cup) of the red enchilada sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Begin building the casserole by layering 2 tortillas, half of the chicken mixture, and ⅓ cup of cheese. Repeat by layering 2 more tortillas, ¼ cup of the enchilada sauce, the rest of the chicken mixture, another ⅓ cup of cheese. Finish by layering the 2 remaining tortillas, the remaining enchilada sauce, and the remaining cheese. Sprinkle the diced Roma tomatoes over the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, and garnish with the cilantro.
Tip: You can easily adjust the spice level to your family’s preference. If you want to amp up the hotness, bump up the chili powder. If you want to tone it down a notch, leave it out, or only use a pinch!
- Serving Size: 1/8 of casserole
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 1079mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 41g
- Cholesterol: 42mg