If you’re only going to try one of my dessert recipes, please let it be this one! It is my absolute favorite! Friends that I shared this with compared the flavor to an Almond Joy candy bar. Um, hello, you’re welcome. Seriously, you must try this out!
You can mess around with the amount of chocolate and coconut based on the flavor you like, but one thing you shouldn’t change in this recipe is the pan size! I made two loaves with this recipe, and I used two 8×5 inch loaf pans. Using larger loaf pans could leave you with too little batter to make both loaves! Also, using either applesauce or Greek yogurt won’t change the delicious outcome of this dessert. Just be sure to use one or the other, don’t mix the two! I hope you love this one as much as I do!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 servings
- 5 bananas
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce or ½ cup non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup white and 1 cup wheat)
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3½ Tbsp light butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 1 tsp coconut extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 2 loaf pans (8×4.5 inch or 8×5 inch) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, mash bananas with a fork.
- In a separate medium size bowl, add flour, salt and baking soda. Use a wire whisk to mix dry ingredients together.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream (beat ingredients together at a high speed) butter and brown sugar together.
- Add mashed bananas, egg whites, applesauce or yogurt and coconut extract (if using). Mix on low for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Next, add in dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix on low speed. (It’s very important not to over mix).
- Next, fold in mini chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
- Pour banana bread batter evenly into the loaf pans.
- Bake banana bread loaves in oven for 40-45 minutes until the edges are golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of loaf
- Calories: 186
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 156mg
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g