Get ready to give your pizza cutter a rest and dig into our Skinny Italian Beef and Peppers casserole! This dinner is the answer to the challenge of cooking low-carb Italian meals and the results couldn’t be more delicious! Peppers, onions, celery, and a little surprise (garbanzo beans!) balance out the hearty ground beef in this perfect weeknight meal! This dish keeps well in the freezer, making it a great make-ahead meal, and the leftovers are easy to reheat and still taste fantastic for lunch! Mix up your beef casserole recipes by trying our Skinny Cheeseburger and Skinny Beef Casserole!Print
Italian Beef and Peppers
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 4 bell peppers, diced (I used 1 red, 1 green, 1 orange, and 1 yellow)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup green onions, diced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 0.7 oz packet all-natural Italian salad dressing dry mix
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef and cook over medium heat.
- Use a fork or spatula to separate the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Remove ground beef, place in a bowl, and set aside.
- In same skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil, celery, garlic, peppers and green onions. Cook vegetables 4-6 minutes, until they have softened.
- Return ground beef to skillet. Add lemon juice, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, garbanzo beans and 1 Tbsp water. Using a spoon, mix all ingredients together and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to casserole dish. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 631mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 23g
- Cholesterol: 44mg