For a skinny version of Chinese takeout, you’ve come to the right place. My Lightened-Up General Tso’s Chicken is low-calorie, low-fat and low-carb—plus, I used corn flakes for a “faux-fried” version. Serve it atop brown or white rice with steamed veggies on the side. The baked chicken makes a big difference as opposed to fried chicken and the sweet sauce is made with sugar-free maple syrup to cut down on sugar.
Lightened-Up General Tso’s Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces (makes 35-36 pieces)
- ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3 cups finely crushed corn flakes
For the Sauce:
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and a wire cooling rack that fits in it. Spray the wire rack with nonstick cooking spray. Move an oven rack up to the top third of your oven.
- Combine the flour and paprika in a shallow dish, the egg whites in a second, and the corn flakes in a third.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, shaking off the excess before dipping in the egg wash. Allow the excess to drip off, then coat in the corn flakes.
- Place each breaded chicken piece on the prepared baking sheet and spray the chicken with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until done.
- Meanwhile, in the last few minutes of the chicken cooking: make the sauce by whisking all of the sauce ingredients together in a small sauce pan. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat, and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- When the chicken is done, in a large mixing bowl combine the chicken and sauce together using tongs to evenly coat and serve with suggested rice and steamed vegetables.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup chicken
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 576mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 43mg