For a fun and nutritious take on your typical calzone, try this Loaded Chicken, Cheese, and Veggie Calzone! I used chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and all kinds of spices to create a flavorful and healthy dinner. Serve it alongside a green salad for a balanced and delicious supper you can have on the table in 30 minutes!
Loaded Chicken, Cheese, and Veggie Calzone
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- ¾ cup cooked chicken (about 4 ounces chicken breast raw)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (13.8-ounce) can classic pizza crust
- 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅛ teaspoons garlic powder
- marinara sauce for dipping
- If starting with raw chicken: Place the chicken in a pot large enough to hold them all, and fill the pot with enough water to cover the chicken by about 1-2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reads 165℉.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken and reserve on a plate. When it is cool enough to touch, shred it and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil, red bell pepper, onion, mushrooms and broccoli, cooking for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Then set the skillet aside to cool slightly.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a flat work surface, and cut the dough into 6 equal-sized rectangles and gently stretch each rectangle a little bit bigger, to fit all of the filling.
- Fill each rectangle with about a ¼ cup of the vegetable filling, 2 tablespoons of chicken, 1 tablespoon of ricotta cheese, and 1 teaspoon of mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the calzone over on itself and use the tines of a fork to press the seams together on the 3 open sides.
- Carefully transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet and spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle garlic powder over each calzone and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Serve with optional marinara sauce for dipping, as desired.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1 calzone
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 427mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 19mg