For a flavor-packed Mexican-inspired pizza, try this recipe! If you’ve ever had a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza, you know how addicting they can be…and how scary they can be for your waistline. I invented my own Mexican pizza for all that great taste but WAY fewer calories and less fat.
Mexican Tortilla Pizza
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 low-carb, high-fiber whole wheat tortillas
- 1 pound lean ground beef, 90-10
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced sodium black beans, drained + rinsed
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sharp cheddar shredded cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 10 reduced-sodium large black ripe olives, sliced
- 5 tablespoons shredded Iceberg lettuce
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and make the sauce: Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Add the spices and tomato paste and stir for an additional minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth with no lumps.
- Allow to cook, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and set 10 tablespoons aside. Store the remaining sauce in a glass container with a tight-fitting lid, like a mason jar.
- Place the tortillas on 2 baking sheets and lightly spray them with nonstick cooking spray, and bake for 4-6 minutes to get slightly crispy.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef and onions together, breaking the beef up as it cooks and until it is no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir the 10 tablespoons of the set-aside sauce into the ground beef mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of the cumin, garlic powder and chili powder, black pepper to taste, and all the green chiles and stir together.
- In a medium-sized, microwave-safe mixing bowl, microwave the beans for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Use a fork to mash the beans together with the remaining ½ teaspoon cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Evenly spread the bean mash onto the slightly crisp tortillas (about 3 tablespoons on each tortilla). Then evenly spread the beef mixture (about ¼ cup on each tortilla) on top of that.
- Top each pizza with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tortilla has finished crisping.
- Garnish each pizza evenly with the tomatoes, olives, shredded lettuce, and jalapeños.
- Serving Size: 1 pizza
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 699mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 53mg