Potatoes and sausage?! This casserole is so savory and sure to become a favorite in your family! I’ve brought all your fave breakfast foods to this feast, so it’s perfect for a filling weekend breakfast with a side of scrambled eggs. Don’t count this one out at dinner time though—it’s a tasty meal any time of the day! This casserole is hearty enough for any night of the week, you have the perfect supper! This isn’t the quickest meal in my collection, but using a mandoline will cut your prep time down significantly!
Potato and Sausage Casserole with Greens
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 9.6 oz package pork sausage crumbles
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, ends removed + diced
- 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed + squeezed of moisture
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled + thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the sausage, onion and zucchini for about 5 minutes or until onions are transparent. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in spinach, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spray a 9-inch pie dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cover the bottom with half of the sliced potatoes, add the sausage filling and cover the top with the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Pour milk evenly on top and cover with bread crumbs; press down to moisten with milk. Lightly spray the bread crumbs with cooking spray. Bake for 50 minutes, up to 60 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of casserole
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 530mg
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 13g