Who’s ready for Mexican night? Forget Taco Tuesday, because I’ve got the perfect protein- and fiber-packed huevos rancheros recipe to knock your socks off! The best part about this meal is that it’s perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner (or all three, if you’re so inclined). Just pair it with fresh fruit for breakfast or corn on the cob for dinner!
Protein-Packed Huevos Rancheros
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained
- ½ teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
- 6 eggs
- 6 low-carb, high-fiber, whole wheat tortillas, 5-inch diameter
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the black beans, cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder; cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the bean and onion mixture to a large mixing bowl, mash the beans gently with a fork, and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the diced tomatoes and green chilies and sriracha until evenly heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Heat each tortilla in a dry skillet on medium-high heat for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Spread ¼ cup bean mixture on each tortilla, and spoon ¼ sriracha mixture over the bean mixture.
- For sunny side up eggs: Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Spray the skillet with non-stick cooking spray and crack the eggs into the skillet. Work in batches depending on how big the skillet is.
- Cook them until the whites are firm, then cover with a lid to steam the tops of the eggs for about 1 minute.
- Slide an egg on each prepared tortilla and garnish with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese and ½ tablespoon chopped cilantro.
- If you’d rather not use Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, top the eggs with your favorite salsa, or my 5-Minute Basic Salsa recipe.
- Amp up the heat by adding more sriracha in the tomatoes or dial it back if your taste buds aren’t fans of spicy foods.
- Serving Size: 1 prepared tortilla and egg
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 654mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 180mg