Grandma’s French toast recipe just might take a backseat to these French toast sticks stuffed with pumpkin cream! Get your kids excited to wake up in the morning with this guaranteed breakfast favorite. And, Mom, you’ll feel good about serving your kids a nutritious morning meal with three sticks only being 220 calories!
Pumpkin French Toast Sticks
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 10 slices of sprouted bread (in healthy freezer section)
- ½ cup 100% pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (or your favorite zero-calorie sweetener)
- sugar-free maple syrup
- Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Carefully cut the crust off of the bread to make even squares.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the pumpkin, ricotta, and honey.
- Evenly spread the pumpkin mixture on 5 slices of bread, and top them with the other 5 slices, making sandwiches.
- Slice each sandwich into 3 “sticks”, making a total of 15.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and egg whites, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Spray the preheated griddle or skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Dunk the “sticks” in the egg mixture and allow the excess to drip off back into the bowl.
- Working in batches, cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- When they are done, sprinkle immediately with optional powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Freeze any leftovers in a resealable freezer bag. Microwave for 2-3 minutes to reheat.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 3 sticks
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 210mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 40mg