Grandma’s French toast recipe just might take a backseat to these French toast sticks stuffed with pumpkin cream! Get excited to wake up in the morning with this guaranteed breakfast favorite. And you’ll feel good about having a nutritious morning meal with three sticks only being 220 calories!
Pumpkin French Toast Sticks
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 10 slices of sprouted bread (in healthy freezer section)
- ½ cup 100% pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (or your favorite zero-calorie sweetener)
- sugar-free maple syrup
- Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Carefully cut the crust off of the bread to make even squares.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the pumpkin, ricotta, and honey.
- Evenly spread the pumpkin mixture on 5 slices of bread, and top them with the other 5 slices, making sandwiches.
- Slice each sandwich into 3 “sticks”, making a total of 15.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and egg whites, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Spray the preheated griddle or skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Dunk the “sticks” in the egg mixture and allow the excess to drip off back into the bowl.
- Working in batches, cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- When they are done, sprinkle immediately with optional powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Freeze any leftovers in a resealable freezer bag. Microwave for 2-3 minutes to reheat.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 3 sticks
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 210mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 40mg