This Savory Herb-Roasted Chicken recipe will be a huge hit with your family! Whether you’re making this for a special occasion or just a regular Sunday dinner, you’ll want to make it again and again—and at only 240 calories per serving, you won’t have a problem doing just that. For a few quick side dishes, serve with steamed veggies and Uncle Ben’s® Ready Whole Grain Medley™ Brown & Wild Rice pouch.
Savory Herb-Roasted Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 120 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 servings
- 1 (4-pound) chicken, whole
- ½ onion, quartered
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped + 2 whole sprigs
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped + 2 whole sprigs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and place a rack in a roasting pan.
- Rinse and pat dry the whole chicken, being careful to make sure the giblets are removed if included.
- Loosen the breast skin by separating it from the breast meat with your hands, being careful not to break the skin.
- Generously season the inside and outside of the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and herbs together. Gently rub it under the breast skin.
- Place the onions, lemon, garlic and whole herbs in the chicken cavity.
- Truss the chicken to keep the legs together and the wings down.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet or roasting rack and tightly cover with foil.
- Roast for for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Take the foil off for the last 15 to 30 minutes to brown the skin.
- The chicken is finished when the juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° F in the thigh and 165° F in the breast.
- Discard lemons and onions in the cavity and remove the skin before eating.
- Serving Size: 4-6 ounces
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 527mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 34g
- Cholesterol: 122mg