For a protein-packed and filling breakfast, you must try my Savory Spinach and Ricotta Crepes! The light crepe encompasses a warm spinach and ricotta mixture and is topped with a creamy Parmesan sauce that’s sure to entice your taste buds. At only 150 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving, you and the kids are going to want these crepes every morning!
For a sweet and skinny crepe recipe, try my Caramel Apple Cinnamon Crepes!
Savory Spinach and Ricotta Crepes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (+ 1 hour refrigeration)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
To make the batter:
- Place all of the crepe batter ingredients together in a blender and blend on high for 10-12 seconds. Push down the sides if needed, and blend again for 1-2 seconds.
- Refrigerate the batter for 1 hour, up to 24 hours maximum.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare the spinach according to package directions.
- In a medium mixing bowl, fold the spinach, ricotta cheese, garlic powder, salt and black pepper together.
To make the crepes:
- Heat a small (8-inch) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly butter the skillet.
- Scoop the batter using a ¼ cup measuring cup. Turn the pan until the batter coats the entire surface.
- Allow the batter to set and for the edges to slightly dry up and curl. Gently loosen the edges with the tip of a rubber spatula, then flip the crepe and cook for 10 seconds on the opposite side.
- Slide the crepes out onto a work surface like a baking sheet. Fill each crepe evenly with the spinach mixture in the center (about 2 heaping tablespoons each). Fold the two edges inward on themselves.
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with the folded crepes.
To make the sauce:
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and stir for 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and stir for 1-2 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the cheese and nutmeg, until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the crepes and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 crepe
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 202mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 55mg