Southwestern Hasselback Chicken is a fun way to switch up a boring skinless chicken breast and at only 210 calories per chicken breast, you won’t even feel guilty indulging! The grooves to keep the chicken juicy and flavorful. Add jalapeños instead of green chiles if you want to amp up the heat factor. Either way, you’ll feel great serving this recipe to your family.
Southwestern Hasselback Chicken
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ red bell pepper, julienned
- ½ yellow bell pepper, julienned
- ½ small yellow onion, julienned
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 4 (4-ounce) chicken breasts
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (2 tablespoons per chicken breast)
- light sour cream
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil, garlic, bell peppers, and onions, cooking until they are very soft, 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the green chilis with their juice, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Then remove the skillet from the heat.
- While the skillet is cooling, prepare the chicken to be stuffed. Make 4-6 diagonal slits in each chicken breast, being careful to not slice all the way through.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken and fill each slit evenly with the vegetable mixture.
- Season the tops of the stuffed chicken with cumin and chili powder, and top each chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Bake until done, 20-22 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then garnish each chicken breast with optional sour cream and cilantro as desired, and serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over the chicken.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 491mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 72mg