For a high-protein, low-carb dinner recipe, you must try this Spicy Quinoa Crusted Chicken. The quinoa packs a crunchy punch of protein while spices like cayenne pepper, paprika and chili powder take your taste buds on a ride. When you’re sick of plain grilled chicken, it’s time to break out this delicious, healthy chicken recipe.
Spicy Quinoa Crusted Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- light ranch dressing
- lime wedges
- Preheat the oven to 300° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan over high heat, add 1 cup of water and the quinoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Remove quinoa from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork and stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika.
- Spread the cooked quinoa evenly on the parchment lined baking sheet and toast the quinoa in the oven for 20-35 minutes, or until dried out.
- Allow the toasted quinoa to cool enough to handle, then transfer to a bowl or shallow dish.
- Discard the parchment paper, but save the baking sheet. Line it with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray and raise the oven to 400° F.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg white and lime juice.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture, then coat in the toasted quinoa, pressing lightly to adhere to all sides.
- Place the coated chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet and place 1 tablespoon of cheese on each, then bake until done. 16-18 minutes.
- Serve with optional ranch dressing, cilantro, and a lime wedge for garnish.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 464mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 31g
- Cholesterol: 72mg