These bars can easily fool you into thinking you’re having apple pie for breakfast! The natural sweetness of all the ingredients is just enough to mask any “healthy taste.” The apples and cinnamon pair perfectly for the season. And, believe me, if you warm one up for about 12 seconds in the microwave, you might even believe you’re eating a freshly baked apple pie!
Autumn Apple Oat Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 servings
- 3 cups quick cooking or old fashion oats
- ¼ cup cashews, ground
- 2 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill® Flax Meal
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ cup dates (about 16), pulsed in food processor until no big chunks remain
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries (or your preferred dried fruit)
- ¼ cup almond milk (or regular milk)
- 1 Tbsp organic raw blue agave sweetener or 1½ Tbsp honey*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 small apple, peeled + chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the oats, cashews, flax meal and cinnamon; set aside.
- Set aside ¼ cup of the applesauce. In a separate bowl, stir the remaining ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. You should be able to form one big ball with your hands.
- Line a 9″ x 13″ baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the pan, leveling until smooth.
- Spread the remaining ¼ cup applesauce evenly on top.
- Scatter the chopped apple pieces. (Optional: add a light dusting of cinnamon over the apples)
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, checking it at the 15 minute mark for any signs of possible burning.
- Lastly, turn your oven to broil and brown the apple pieces for about 3 minutes.
- Remove and cut into bars, let cool. Store in Tupperware® or Ziploc® bags with parchment paper layered between bars. Store in fridge.
*Note: Organic Raw Blue Agave can be found in the natural section of your grocery store. It is 25% sweeter than sugar so less is needed. It is also naturally gluten-free and suitable for vegans.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 131
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 16mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g