I love to lighten up my favorite comfort foods in my house! I know sometimes you crave something cheesy and warm, well my Baked Mac and Cheese with Broccoli will hit the spot! Even without a lean protein, this dish is filling and perfect!
Baked Mac and Cheese with Broccoli
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1 (12-ounce) bag wide egg noodles
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the noodles and frozen broccoli, cooking for 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the butter and onion, cooking together for about 2 minutes or until the onions get soft.
- Whisk in the flour and stir for about 1 minute, until it gets thick and smooth and smells nutty.
- Whisk in the milk and chicken broth, and bring the sauce up to a boil. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- When the sauce is thick (coats the back of a spoon), remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese.
- Fold in the reserved noodles and broccoli, to evenly coat.
- Transfer the mixture to the reserved baking dish and top with the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Lightly coat the top with nonstick cooking spray to brown the breadcrumbs.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and warmed through, 20-25 minutes.
Smart Points: 6
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 202mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 12mg