Did you know that the tongue can pick up on five basic tastes? Four of them might be easy to come up with off the top of your head (sweet, sour, bitter and salty), but the fifth is a bit more obscure: It’s called umami, a Japanese word that translates to “pleasant, savory taste.” This hearty dish will surely satisfy all your cravings!
Beef, Mushroom, and Asparagus Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- ½-pound lean ground beef
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8-ounce package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10.5-ounce can Campbell’s® Healthy Request® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ pound asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Two 8.8-ounce pouches Uncle Ben’s® Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown Rice
- ¾ cup Sargento® Reduced Fat Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, onion, garlic and mushrooms about 12-15 minutes until the beef is no longer pink and the mushrooms are very soft. Use a wooden spoon to break the beef up as it cooks. Drain any excess fat and return the beef to the skillet over low heat.
- Bring a medium sauce pan of water to a boil and blanch the asparagus pieces for 1 minute, or until bright green. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve in a bowl of ice water.
- Drain the asparagus and add to the beef and mushroom mixture. Stir in the salt, black pepper, red chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce, and mushroom soup.
- Microwave the rice according to package directions, and spread on the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the beef mixture on top of the rice, and top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese melts.
Smart Points: 9