My Butternut Squash Soup is a hearty, flavorful soup that I absolutely adore! A few apples, along with oven-roasted squash and onions pack this dish with tons of flavor! (Hate trying to cut into squash? Here is a quick tip: Pop your squash in the microwave for just 2-3 minutes to make cutting into it a breeze!)
Butternut Squash Soup
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours - 6 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 40 Minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 4 pound butternut squash
- 3 apples
- 1 sweet onion
- 32-ounces Pacific® Organic Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon rosemary and garlic blend seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- reduced-fat sour cream
- fresh chives, chopped
- *Optional ingredients are not included in nutrition calculations.
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Place butternut squash in microwave for 2-3 minutes to soften squash before slicing.
- Slice the squash lengthwise down the center from top to bottom.
- Scoop out seeds from squash.
- Slice onion down center.
- Spray a roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place squash halves and onion onto roasting pan. Sprinkle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake squash and onions in oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove squash and onions and allow to cool.
- Peel and dice apples and add to slow cooker.
- After squash and onions have cooled, remove skin and chop squash. Add to slow cooker. Dice onions and add to slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth, rosemary and garlic blend, salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Stir all ingredients to mix and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- After squash has cooked, remove bay leaves and using an immersion blender or blender, blend to desired consistency.
- To serve, top with a (optional) tablespoon of light sour cream and fresh chives.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 524mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 4g