This recipe is exactly as the title says, Cheater Skillet Lasagna, all the ingredients of lasagna without all of the steps! You don’t have to layer this meal; toss it all in together and add pasta and it tastes just as yummy as the classic.
Cheater Skillet Lasagna
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (13.25-ounce) box whole grain penne noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (about 10 leaves)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the beef and onion together, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon until it is no longer pink and the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and add the beef broth and crushed tomatoes. Simmer until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the ricotta, dried oregano and fresh basil. Stir until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Right before draining the penne noodles, add the spinach to the pasta water, then drain together immediately.
- Add the drained penne and spinach to the skillet with the meat sauce and stir together to evenly coat all of the penne.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot out of the skillet.
Smart Points: 6
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 69mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 33mg