The cheese, tomato, and pickle make a delicious combination that will make you feel like you’re cheating on your diet—but you’re not! Freeze the leftovers for a future busy night, or pack it up for lunch the next day. It tastes great reheated as well!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 8 ounces whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sugar ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar shredded cheese
- diced pickles
- shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the elbows according to package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over over medium-high heat and add the onions and beef, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon until it is no longer pink, and the onions are translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- To the browned beef, add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese. Add the cooked elbow macaroni and stir everything together. Transfer the skillet contents to the prepared casserole dish and cover with the cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with optional diced pickles, tomatoes, or shredded lettuce.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 335mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 40mg