Are you ready for this hearty, warm, cheesy, protein-packed soup? Because once you try it there’s no going back! Imagine the cheeseburger-filled days of summer translated into a comforting soup version! I’m certain that everyone in your house will request this during the chilly days. At only 207 calories for a cup of soup, you’ll be happy to make this recipe again and again.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, shredded (about ½ cup)
- 3 stalks celery, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 Russet potatoes, peeled and medium dice
- 1½ cups reduced-fat mild cheddar shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tomato, diced
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat, and brown the ground beef. Drain any excess fat, and set the beef aside.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, carrots, and celery, cooking for about 4-6 minutes until the onions become translucent. Add the garlic, cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, diced tomatoes, and set-aside beef.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, and serve warm.
Smart Points: 6
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 437mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 15g