This healthy Chicken Parmesan Casserole is so delicious that you’d never know you’re eating healthy. The casserole aspect brings a fun, new take to Chicken Parm, while still keeping it simple and quick. The best part about this recipe (besides the fact that it’s only 268 calories per serving) is that you don’t even have to cook the pasta before throwing it in the oven! The low-sodium chicken broth and crushed tomatoes make the chicken and pasta even more hearty and filling. Throw in some chicken, mozzarella, Parmesan, and Italian seasonings and you’ve got yourself an easy, quick, healthy, family-favorite meal!
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (13.25-ounce) box whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the chicken in an even layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper to taste. Next, spread the uncooked pasta over the chicken.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth over the pasta, and sprinkle the basil and Italian seasoning over the sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and top with the 2 cheeses, and panko bread crumbs. Spray the panko generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are browned.
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 217mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 32mg