This is hands down one of my favorite Mexican meals! The corn cake brings just the right amount of sweetness to this dish and I love serving it with fresh cilantro and light sour cream on the side! To save time during the week, prep on Sundays by cooking up a big batch of chicken in the slow clooker. Then just store it in Ziploc® Freezer Bags and use as needed during the week!
Chicken Tamale Pie
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked + shredded
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 14.5 oz can cream-style corn
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning, divided
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup reduced-fat, shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 8.5 oz box corn muffin mix
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine skim milk, egg whites, ½ Tbsp taco seasoning, red pepper, cream-style corn, corn muffin mix and green chilies.
- Stir ingredients until moist and then transfer mixture into a round pie plate coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Corn cake will be done when golden brown.
- While corn cake is baking, toss shredded chicken with remaining 1 Tbsp taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- Remove corn cake from oven and pierce generously with fork, making indentations all over corn cake.
- Pour red enchilada sauce over pierced corn cake.
- Top enchilada sauce with chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equal size slices.
- Top with fresh cilantro and/or (optional) reduced-fat sour cream before serving.
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of pie
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 749mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 14g