This chickpea veggie burger will be your next favorite recipe! Think of all the vitamins and nutrients you’ll be getting with this healthy, 303-calorie burger.
Chickpea Veggie Burger
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 2 cups carrot, grated
- 2 Tbsp unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 15.5-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 8 whole-wheat sandwich buns
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- After grating the zucchini, line a plate with 2-3 paper towels and let the zucchini rest for about 10 minutes, to remove some of the natural moisture.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add ½ tablespoon oil, the onions, garlic, and red chili flakes and cook for about 1 minute, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the zucchini and carrots, cooking until the onions are translucent (about 6 minutes). Season with salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning then take the skillet off the heat.
- In a food processor, pulse the sunflower seeds, mustard, and chickpeas 2-3 times until the mixture holds together, but still has a lot of texture.
- Transfer the chickpea mixture to a large mixing bowl and add in the cooked vegetables, then add the breadcrumbs.
- Mix everything together until evenly incorporated. Shape 8 veggie burgers using a half-cup measuring cup and gently flatten them out into about 4-inch circles.
- Place 4 veggie burgers on each prepared baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes, flipping them over at the halfway point.
Smart Points: 9
- Serving Size: 1 burger with bun
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 778mg
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 12g