Anyone have a “Meat & Potatoes” kind of guy in their life? If so, this recipe is for you! My Chili Cheese Baked Potatoes make a super simple dinner that doesn’t call for many ingredients—and I’m willing to bet you already have most of them on hand! The best part though… this dinner is made to satisfy husbands out there who wouldn’t know a vegetable if it walked up to them and shook their hand!
Chili Cheese Baked Potatoes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4 medium-size russet potatoes
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 (16-ounce) cans chili beans
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- reduced-fat Mexican cheese
- reduced-fat sour cream
- green onions, chopped
- Wash and pierce potatoes with fork.
- Place potatoes in microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn them over and microwave for another 3 to 5 minutes. If still hard in the middle, microwave in additional 1-minute burst until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat for about 5 to 8 minutes or until it is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, brown onion and garlic on medium-low heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan on medium heat, add diced tomatoes, chili beans, ground beef, onions, minced garlic and seasonings.
- Cook until well heated, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- To serve, slice potatoes in half, length wise. Place one half of a potato on a plate and cover with 1 cup chili.
- Top with optional toppings if desired and enjoy!
Smart Points: 5
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1/2 potato + 1 cup chili
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 509mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 30mg