If you want to incorporate the benefits of seafood into your diet you have to give this soup a try. My Creamy Shrimp, Corn and Leek soup is light, creamy and packed with savory flavor. I have all the ingredients and directions listed below, I know you can do this – Ready, Set, Let’s Go!
Creamy Shrimp, Corn and Leek Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 3-4 stalks leeks (white and tender green parts only),
- coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp light butter
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled + roughly cut in to cubes
- 10 oz bag frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp Tabasco® (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning®
- ¾ cup skim milk
- ½ lb medium shrimp, peeled deveined (if frozen, you need to defrost them)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parsley for garnish, chopped
- Wash leeks carefully to remove all the grit. You can soak them in a bowl of water for 10 minutes to be sure. Chop them up after you wash them.
- In a large pot, over medium-low heat, melt butter and saute garlic for 2 minutes. Add flour, stirring continuously for about 30 seconds to 1 minute to make a roux.
- Add chicken broth, leeks, potatoes, corn, Tabasco and Old Bay Seasoning and whisk vigorously until incorporated. Let simmer on medium heat for 25-30 minutes, until potatoes have softened.
- Add the milk. Use an immersion blender and blend the soup until smooth. If you don’t have one, carefully transfer the soup to a regular blender.
- Add shrimp and lemon juice to the pot and cook on low for another 6-8 minutes, or until shrimp are pink.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and garnish with parsley.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 1,539mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 37mg