My Crispy Catfish is lightened up but it still brings big taste & crunch! I used Cornmeal and ground flax to coat the fish and I baked it! If you’re not a fan of catfish this breading goes great on cod or tilapia. Try it as a sandwich, in a wrap, in a taco, or just on its own! No matter how you serve this one up, try it with a side of my Lightened-Up Cole Slaw.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup ground flax meal
- 4 (4-ounce) catfish fillets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- lemon slices, to squeeze and garnish
Tartar Sauce (makes 6 tablespoons total):
- 2½ tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2½ tablespoons plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste (a pinch)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top of the foil. Coat the rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, paprika, and a pinch of salt and black pepper together in a shallow dish or plate.
- In a second shallow dish or bowl, whisk the egg whites thoroughly, so they coat the catfish well.
- In a third shallow dish or plate, combine the cornmeal and flax meal.
- Season the catfish with the rest of the salt and pepper. Dredge each fillet in the flour mixture and shake off the excess. Next, dip them in the egg whites, and then dredge in the cornmeal mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Place each fillet on the prepared baking sheet and coat the tops of them with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, make the tartar sauce by mixing all of the tartar sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- When the fish is finished, serve each fillet with about 1½ tablespoons of tartar sauce, and a lemon wedge to squeeze.
Smart Points: 5
- Serving Size: 1 fillet and 1½ tablespoons sauce
- Calories: 221
- Sodium: 490mg
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 68mg