This is all the goodness of a burrito, but in the form of a one-pan meal! Save the steps (and calories) of baking and rolling the burrito, and instead eat it in a deconstructed version. This low-calorie dinner recipe is easy for everyone to dig into—plus, cleanup will be a breeze!
Easy Cheesy Burrito Skillet
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup water
- 3 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- ¾ cup reduced-fat 4 cheese Mexican shredded cheese
- diced avocado
- diced tomato
- yogurt/sour cream
- green onions
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil and onion, cooking the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When the meat is fully cooked, add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and paprika, stirring it all together with the meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the beans, salsa, and water, stirring everything together and cooking at a low simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tortilla strips, making sure to push them around in the pan so they are coated and soft, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the cheese over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Top with optional avocado, tomatoes, yogurt or sour cream, and green onions as desired.
- If you’d rather not use ground turkey, feel free to substitute ground chicken, beef, or pork.
- You could even bump up the spice factor in this dish by adding sriracha or hot sauce to the pan. Get your taste buds ready!
*Optional ingredients not included in nutrition calculation.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 862mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 61mg