Croutons add that crunch your salad may be lacking, but take a look at the nutrition facts on some and you’ll vow never to consume one ever again! My crouton recipe, however, contains only 36 calories, 1 SmartPoint, and ZERO grams of fat, so you can indulge in this classic salad topper.
Homemade Ciabatta Croutons
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 32 servings
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 lb Ciabatta bread, cut into ¾- inch cubes
- ⅛ cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium heat, sauté garlic for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Stir in the Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil 1 teaspoon at a time. Mix gently with a spatula between drizzles.
- Sprinkle in garlic, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and cheese. Mix until evenly coated.
- Lightly spray two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer croutons to baking sheets. Lightly spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Toss croutons over half way through. Optional: Broil for the last 2 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- Let cool. Store in airtight container. Yields 8 heaping cups.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 36
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg