I love Broccoli Cheddar Soup and this soup is a favorite, but too often it’s just too fatty for us to eat! I did you a big favor and lightened it up, so now you can eat it guilt free. You’re so welcome!
Lightened-Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts only), chopped small
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small heads fresh broccoli, chopped small (about 8 cups fresh broccoli florets)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- To wash the leeks, immerse them in a bowl of cool water for a few minutes, then drain the water through a fine mesh sieve.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the leeks, onion, and garlic and cook cook for 4-6 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the broccoli and season the vegetables with the salt and pepper, cooking an additional 6-8 minutes, until the vegetables are all tender.
- Add the chicken broth and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk to the soup, and blend smooth with an immersion blender in the pot. If you don’t have an immersion blender, be sure to chop the vegetables very small in the beginning.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted and smooth. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with additional cheese to serve, if desired.
Smart Points: 8
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 579mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 31g