I love to cook good , down home meals! But a lot of these meals are stacked full of calories! With my Low-Country Gumbo I’ve lightened it up so you can enjoy a nice hearty bowl with no regrets! Serve on top of brown rice or with a side of cornbread.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 links fully cooked spicy chicken sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat white flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 30)
- 10 ounces frozen and sliced okra
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the sausage and brown it for 1 to 2 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- Add the oil, celery, green bell pepper, and onion, cooking until the onions begin to look translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, 1 minute.
- Whisk in the flour, cooking until it thickens and smells nutty, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and tomatoes and their juice.
- Add the cayenne and bay leaves, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Add the shrimp, set-aside sausage, frozen okra, and parsley, simmering until the shrimp is pink and opaque and the okra is heated through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve with ¼ cup of rice each.
Smart Points: 5
- Serving Size: 1⅓ cups gumbo + ¼ cup brown rice
- Calories: 242
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 573mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 102mg