Onion rings have never been more simple or delicious! These crispy, light and airy rings are perfect for a game day get-together — all the taste at about half the calories. Serve them with our yummy Lower-Sugar Homemade Ketchup for a real treat!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes + 3 hours marinating time
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes + 3 hours marinating time
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup whole-wheat white flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Slice ends of the onion off, and take off the outer layer. Slice the onions in ½-inch to 1-inch rings and break the rings apart.
- Place the onion rings in a shallow baking dish, like a 13×9-inch casserole dish, and pour the buttermilk over them. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a shallow dish, stir together the flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a second shallow dish, whisk together the egg and egg white.
- In a third shallow dish, pour the panko bread crumbs.
- Pick up each onion ring individually and allow the excess buttermilk to drip off. Dip it in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Next, dip the onion ring in the egg wash allowing excess to drip off, and finally press into the panko breadcrumbs.
- Line the onion rings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 12-14 minutes.
Smart Points: 1
- Serving Size: 5 Onion Rings
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 246mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 45mg