We used fat-free feta and part-skim ricotta for quick, easy swaps that no one will ever know you made unless you tell them! The light, fluffy phyllo with the spinach and cheese mixture make for a delicious savory dish. Plus, the finished product looks like a masterpiece, so the flavor and display will leave your guests in awe…and wanting seconds!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings
- 10 oz fresh (or frozen) spinach
- 5 scallions (white end of green onion), minced
- 2 green onion stalks, chopped
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup fat-free feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup fresh dill, snipped
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, add half of the fresh spinach and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Push spinach to one side of the pan and add remaining spinach. Stir occasionally for an additional 5 minutes.
- Spray a 9½ inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, feta, dill, egg, scallions, green onions, lemon juice and salt. Mix well. Add spinach and stir again.
- When working with phyllo pastry, keep the sheets that aren’t being used in a damp paper towel. This will prevent the pastry from drying out and crumbling. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo in prepared pie pan and allow it to extend over the rim. Lightly coat with spray.
- Repeat with 4 more sheets of phyllo, placing corners at different angles and lightly coating each sheet with spray.
- Press down on the dough to form the shape of the pan. Start in the center and work your way out. Next, fold the edges in to form a 1½-inch high rim.
- Spread spinach mixture over the dough.
- Lightly coat 1 of the remaining sheets with spray, crumple loosely and cover one section of the spinach mixture (see photo).
- Repeat with remaining sheets.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of pie
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 369mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 11g