My Red Velvet Donuts are baked instead of fried and are low calorie and low fat! They are perfect for Valentine’s Day — or any day you want donuts! At 121 calories and 5 SmartPoints per donut, everyone can love them!
Red Velvet Donuts
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 gallon-sized resealable plastic bag
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 6-count donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, applesauce, almond milk, vanilla and food coloring until incorporated.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the gallon-size bag, squeeze out excess air, and zip it shut. Cut about a ½-inch opening at the tip, and evenly fill the prepared donut pan with all of the batter. (The batter comes out fast, so before baking, wipe away any run-off on the pan.)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, then allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing the donuts and cooling fully on a cooling rack.
- While the donuts are cooling, whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until smooth.
- Dip the tops of each cooled donut in the glaze and allow to dry 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
- If you’re worried about removing the donuts from the donut pan, don’t be! An easy way is to loosen the edges and pop them out with a straight-edged spatula.
- There will be extra glaze that you will not need — however, you need “more” than necessary in order to get a good dip.
Smart Points: 5
- Serving Size: 1 donut with glaze
- Calories: 121
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 217mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 29mg