Beef stew is a classic hearty family dinner, but if you’re not careful, the calorie and fat counts can get a bit out of hand. This recipe contains only 247 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving, and that’s not even the best part! The beef, low-sodium beef broth, vegetables, and bay leaves come together in the slow cooker to create a wonderful, hearty stew the entire family will devour.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours on low (up to 8 hours)
- Total Time: -25278095.5 minute
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ pounds stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 cups organic low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Season the beef with the salt and black pepper, and add to the skillet.
- Add the carrots, onions, potatoes and celery to the slow cooker. Transfer the browned beef from the skillet to the slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Add to the slow cooker along with the bay leaves.
- Cook on low to 6 to 8 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves before serving, and season with salt and black pepper if needed.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 680mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 57mg