My Thai Salmon Burgers are a perfect alternative to burger night. I used soy sauce, curry powder, turmeric, ground ginger and garlic for an Asian flavor You can serve them on a bed of lettuce with rice. One patty is only 126 calories and 3 SmartPoints!
Thai Salmon Burgers
- Prep Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes chill time
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 56 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound fresh raw salmon, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
Pickled Cucumber Slaw:
- ½ small English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ shallot or ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ whole carrot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stevia (or your favorite no-calorie sweetener)
- 2-3 mint leaves, chopped
- First, make the Cucumber Slaw by combining the cucumber, shallot (or red onion), carrot, vinegar, and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Reserve the mint leaves for later. The easiest way to slice these vegetables thin would be to use a mandoline slicer. If there are three settings, use the thinnest. Set aside in the refrigerator while the patties are being made and chilling.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat and add the sesame oil, red bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until soft, 8-10 minutes. Set the vegetables aside to cool.
- In a food processor, pulse the salmon until it is the texture of ground salmon. If you do not have a food processor, this can be done by chopping it up very small with a sharp knife instead.
- Transfer the salmon to a large mixing bowl and add the cooled vegetables, soy sauce, curry powder, turmeric, ground ginger, and lime juice.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal-sized patties and refrigerate on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven and bake at 425° F for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the liquid from the pickled vegetables.
- Serve the salmon burger on a bed of mixed salad greens and drizzle some of the reserved pickling liquid over them.
- Divide the pickled vegetables over each burger and evenly sprinkle the chopped mint over them.
Smart Points: 2
- Serving Size: 1 salmon burger with ⅙ of the pickled cucumbers
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 148mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 35mg